Thursday, November 17, 2011

C is for Challenge

At times it's a challenge to find the right word for Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday, isn't it? However, it's also great to take on challenges now and then to broaden one's horizon. I recently participated in the November challenge of the Digital Montage Studio Challenge blog. From the post:

"There is an over abundance of texture in our world and this month I would like to challenge you to get out and grab some photos of texture that can be combined with other images to alter them digitally. [...] Once you have some interesting textures from around your home or town, use them with a blending mode to merge the texture with another interesting image."

I like to play with texture and blending modes between layers, so it was fun to give that challenge a try. I used one of my photos of a tree's bark...


... and the photo of one of my Halloween pumpkins.


I use Paint Shop Pro 9 but you can practically use any graphic software which works with layers to combine images. I blended the images with "hard light," loving the new look of them:


To give the collage something special, I added the face of a boy near the middle and finally aged the picture by using a filter.


Another blending mode which I liked was "difference."


For the final image I added the image of a fairy, altering her coloring to suit the background.


It's great fun to work with texture and blending modes -- the possibilities are endless. If you want to give it a try, too, please add the link at the Digital Montage Studio Challenge blog. Oh, and if you are interested in digital art in general, please consider checking out We Love Digital Art.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I really love these-I hope you will make more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos! The pumpkin is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool pictures i really like the one with the boys face

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is quite something. I have yet to explore the world of photography, but you make it look fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great fun to play with blending and textures..I'm always amazed at what comes out. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birgit, FANTASTIC!! I am working on adding more texture to my abstract paintings. It is such fun! Really good camera and manipulation work you've done! Brava!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is perfect! At first I had no idea what it was...each photo opened to a better sight! great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how lovely and so clever thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right about memes being challenging sometimes! But that can be the fun of them as well.
    Fun to see what you did by manipulating the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. That texture is really amazing!

    I like the structure of the memes...they usually help me avoid writers block...although this week I'm not having much luck with that!

    I'm ready to take a month off and sit by a firepit at the beach!

    Thanks for a cool link for the letter C.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment -- I very much appreciate that! :)