Thursday, January 19, 2012

H is for House and I is for Illumination


Well, I missed last week's deadline for H, so today you are in for a double treat thanks to Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday! Let's start with H then.
I had driven by that house countless times either by train or car, yet recently I had the chance to walk by it.


For the first time, I had a closer look at the facade and made out some words:

Frage nicht was andere machen,
acht auf Deine eignen Sachen.

Now that's one piece of worthwhile advice:

Don't ask what others are doing,
take care of your own matters.

Now on to this week's letter -- I.
Recently, I noticed how gorgeous our neighbors' tree looked illuminated by the early morning sun. I immediately took my camera and snapped a photo. Illumination at its best.


25 comments:

  1. I would love to know the history behind that quote on the building. That seems so unusual. Yes, that tree looks beautiful illuminated by the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words on the house make good advice!...I wonder if my mother had something to do with the building of it! :)
    Beautiful tree - finding such beauty in nature gives pleasure that lasts for hours and hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pics!! love the illuminated tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the light illuminates the house. I even love the word, illuminates. May you always have illuminating inspiration, Birgit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat house - I bet it has a rich heritage and I love trees! this one is lovely! Very cool to be able to see it in all seasons of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worthwhile advice, indeed. :) I wonder what prompted the builder or original owner to put it there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good counsel, and I love the way trees look when light hits them just right.

    (In fact, I love the way trees look, period!)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riet, I agree with Sue! And the light on the tree is really lovely! GOOD WORK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tree. AND...you could have used your house for I too...insightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tree photo is amazing! I love the saying on the house... Good advice and very to the point.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome and great advice. What gorgeous buildings!! Thanks for visiting. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful house! For Alpahbe, Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  13. great photos! The old houses are so pretty. I've seen carved messages in public buildings, but it's so unusual for a house! Thanks for giving us a view of your neighborhood. {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretty pictures, that tree is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is such brilliant illumination! Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the angle of that first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved the photo of the house and tree. Both are beautiful. The saying on the facade of the house is wonderful and unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the words on the building, I wish everyone would do that! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome pictures!! I love visiting you, your art is so diverse!! And I love that!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that the architect left a quote on the building. And a good one!

    Lovely photo of the tree - I could use some sunshine here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The writing on that building is so neat, and a little mysterious! I would love to see more uplifting/"be a better person" type messages on buildings! And it's neat you had passed the building many times before before getting up close enough to see it.

    The photo of the tree is really terrific. Great colors and light. And thank you for visiting my blog! When you commented about my Oktoberfest horse comment from many months ago it reminded me to come back and visit you! (It's so hard to keep track. I wonder how many thousands of interesting blogs are out there! I often wish I had more time in the day to visit them.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, I love this post!!! I hope you're having a great weekend, my friend!!! xo Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful quote and beautiful tree!
    Thanks for stopping by The Simple Life!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What interesting words to have on a house!
    The illuminate tree is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. Isn't it amazing to think that someone took the time to carve that wonderful quotation on a building. I haven't seen many like that...usually it's just the year or the name. Very cool!

    Your tree picture is lovely, too. Glowing and intent. The two letters go together perfectly.

    Thanks for linking!

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment -- I very much appreciate that! :)